Sunday, November 05, 2017

November Already


I can't believe it's November 05 already!! If it weren't for the firecrackers & the unseasonable cold - that is for US on the Wet Coast & even more unseasonable SNOW, I wouldn't believe it. Today dawned cool, crisp & blue skied. 
The perfect day to wear a Cowichan sweater!! And I have three fleece jackets .  .  .  .   Yup, good thing my car has a good, fast heater. My aging internal 'Granny Thermometer' won't let me sit outside with my buddy & his pooch at Starbucks in this weather anymore because I can't stay warm enough. I don't feel too bad because the pooch doesn't want to sit outside either.

Every year my landlord & I have this unacknowledged contest about who will holler "uncle" first & crank on the furnace. Yesterday I woke from an afternoon nap to a warm bedroom - I was gonna give up & get him to turn it on yesterday too. I think the furnace has been running more or less steadily since then. It will be so nice to shower in a warm room again!!

With all this cold air about, I've been seriously rethinking my wardrobe lately. I no longer need dress clothing. Or dress shoes. In the summer I live in shorts & tee shirts except for two pairs of long, floral pants that go with most of my tees. I even have a pair of jeans hanging in the closet. In the winter I've been wearing men's sweat pants - they come with pockets!!!!!! & keep me warmer, my tee shirts & a sweater at home or fleece jacket when I go out. 
As a result, I'm thinking of chucking all the pants that have no pockets, a couple of dress shirts I don't wear anymore & going back to fleece all the time for winter. Or at least fleece pants with long sleeve shirts & a vest - with pockets. In my part of the world, it's not always safe to carry a purse - especially if you're old. I like my keys in my right pocket so I can press the emergency button or lock my car fast. I'd like my phone in the opposite pocket & my thin wallet zipped into my vest/jacket pocket. That way I can carry my cane in the winter & a knitting bag too. And no one would try to steal my knitting bag - it has Knitting Chickens on it.

On the Knitting Scene - the Blue Scrappy Socks remain out in the car for waiting time knitting - next week I have two appointments with the Ex so they might get finished. The Purple & Pink socks are next to my TV watching chair where I've been ripping out one of the sweaters I started for myself. I tried something different, it didn't work & the thing wound up being 6 inches too big in the bust. So I'm ripping it back to the part where I screwed it up & will do what I should've done in the first place. The woolly blanket/shawl is HUGE & just about finished. Although I'd like to see it with fringe, I'm not sure how much yarn/time/effort would be involved or if it would be worth it.

1 comment:

Louisa said...

We keep our house fairly cool (15C night, 16C day) except in the morning and early evening when it cranks up to 18C. But even we have had the heat turned on for the past month! I’m pretty cold tolerant but there is definitely a limit. And long underwear...and wool...and of course like you, fleece. Stay warm, Sharon!